Old Club logo



  Photo Album

Swap & Shop









If you’re interested in having some fun on HAM radio and possibly stepping up to help out during a time of crisis, you can get a hold of Marty Thomas by either phoning him at 204·734·8310, emailing at ve4mrt@gmail.com or learn more by checking out the Radio Amateurs of Canada web site at www.rac.ca or DARC at www.dauphinamateurradioclub.ca for more information.
Along with information and answers to any questions you might have about amateur radio, or DARC, Marty  can even help you study by offering a link to an online pre-test to help you prepare for the basic exam 
The test will be held on Saturday, Jan. 10 at 9 a.m. at the Swan Lake Watershed Conservation building , but be sure to hit the books before you attend.


DARC Repeaters


Ve4srr 146.940- Battery Backup IRLP #1700  
Ve4bmr  Baldy Mtn. 147.030-  Battery Backup
Ve4bvr  Russell 147.240+   Battery Backup
Ve4shr  Ashern  146.700-
Ve4bas  Basswood  145.150- Tone 127.3
Ve4ldr  Lundar 146.970-
Ve4six  Woodlands 145.430- Tone 127.3
Ve4whr  Windy Hill 145.450- Solar Power
Ve4rcr  Rice Creek 146.610- Proposed Site

Repeater Coverage Map  open here


How to Become a Radio Amateur

To become a radio amateur requires a license authorized by the appropriate governing body in your country. On this page we will look briefly at licensing in the U.S. and Canada and point you to web sites that contain more licensing information.

In Canada and the U.S. you will need to prepare for and take an examination to get your license. The exam material depends on the license level or class that you are applying for. For most budding hams it is a good idea to connect with a local Amateur Radio Club (ARC) where classes are given in theory and/or Morse code as needed to prepare you for the exam. Although you can get the study material to learn on your own it is generally much easier and faster to take a course. In the process you will meet other hams or hams to be and begin creating your own network of contacts.

Getting Licensed in Canada

Licensing of Amateur Radio in Canada is regulated by Industry Canada. It is illegal to operate on the amateur bands without an Amateur Radio Operator Certificate which has three levels of qualification as follows:

Basic Qualification: an examination of 100 questions.

  • access all amateur bands above 30 MHz
  • use a maximum of 250 watts DC transmitter input power
  • build and operate all station equipment, except for "home-made" transmitters
  • Basic with honours (80% or above score) - access to all amateur bands below 30 MHz
  • There is no Morse code requirement on this test.

Advanced Qualification: an examination of 50 questions.

  • access all amateur bands below 30 MHz
  • use maximum transmitter power of 1000 watts DC input
  • build and operate transmitting equipment
  • establish repeaters and club stations
  • remotely control fixed stations, including the use of radio links
  • There is no Morse code requirement on this test.

Morse Code (5 wpm with Basic or Basic and Advanced Certificate):

  • access to all amateur bands below 30 MHz





Back To Top