HISTORY OF INTERCITY BUSES

MANITOBA & SASKATCHEWAN

 

          HomeManitobaSaskatchewanLinks

MANITOBA PHOTO GALLERY

Welcome to Alex Regiec and Dennis Cavanagh's non-commercial and personal web site which presents a pictorial history of intercity bus companies that

have operated or continue to operate in the Province of Manitoba, Canada.  Please enjoy the hundreds of vintage and contemporary photographs on this web

site.  Just scroll through the chronological photo gallery and then click on each individual thumbnail to view the larger picture.


Winnipeg Electric Company 1918-1953

Operator Bill Fitzgerald stands next to an "Observation Coach", a Reo chassis with a Fitzjohn body while on charter duty to Hoban's Tourist Park.

Photograph courtesy of Charlie Creggie

Portage-Winnipeg Bus Line 1922-1939

Ira Austin Moore pioneered the first scheduled intercity bus service in Manitoba.

Photograph courtesy of Ian Moore

Portage-Winnipeg Bus Line 1922-1939

Ira Moore's company operated between Winnipeg and Portage La Prairie, and also between Portage La Prairie and Delta Beach.

Photograph courtesy of Ian Moore

Grey Goose Bus Lines Limited 1924-1961

John (Jack) Smith started a bus service between Winnipeg and Carman which became Brown Brothers Bus Line and eventually sold to Gary M. Lewis. In 1934, the partnership of Gary M. Lewis, Elmer Clay, William R. Lewis, Albert J. Todd, and Alfred Hurshman was incorporated as Grey Goose Bus Lines Limited.

Northern Motor Coach Lines Limited 1928-1940

Paused at a British America gas station at the junction of highways 12 & 317 after trudging many hard miles through the remnants of a major snow storm.

Photograph courtesy of Wayne Foster

Northern Manitoba Motor Bus Company 1929-1933

On display at the museum in Austin, Manitoba, the above vehicle is reportly the first bus owned and operated by F.S. (Phil) Geiler.

Photograph courtesy of Ian Moore

Manitoba Bus Owners Association

Members from left to right were: Mike Negrich, Peter Homenick, Jack Stuart, unknown, Louis Todd, Hank Jeffrey, William Ferguson, Ernie Todd, Gary M. Lewis, John Toews, Herve Duguay, Alfred Hurshman, Thomas J. Clark, William R. Lewis, Ira A. Moore, Albert J. Todd, and Mr. Duval posed on the Manitoba Legislative Building grounds in 1931.

Manitoba Motor Transit Limited 1933-1969

Phil Geiler changed the company name and relocated its headquarters to Brandon, and on May 18, 1933 became the first company to transport passengers inter-provincially from Fleming, Saskatchewan to Winnipeg.

Photograph courtesy of Ian Moore

Clark Transportation Company Limited 1930-1944

Thomas J. Clark of Dauphin established bus service on the Winnipeg-Neepawa-Dauphin route. By December 1933 he extended service from Dauphin through to Yorkton, Saskatchewan.

Photograph courtesy of Paul Leger

Beaver Bus Lines Limited 1932-Present

Harry Henteleff assumed operation of a subsidized suburban St. Vital route from the Winnipeg Electric Company. He later received authority to operate the Winnipeg-Stonewall route.

Photograph courtesy of Paul Leger

Eastern Bus Lines Limited 1930-1948

By 1936 this company provided service on the Winnipeg-Birds Hill-Oakbank-Cook's Creek-Sapton-Hazelridge-Anola-Vivian-Lydiatt route.

Photograph courtesy of William A. Luke

Central Canadian Greyhound Lines 1929-1940

Barney Olson started Trans-Continental Coach Lines in 1935 operating Winnipeg-Brandon-Virden after acquiring this route from Manitoba Motor Transit. His company was then purchased by Greyhound in 1938.

Photograph courtesy of William A. Luke

Thiessen Transportation Limited 1946-1959

Abraham J. Thiessen launched daily bus service between Winnipeg and Altona, Gretna and Winkler in 1946.

White Ribbon Bus Lines Limited 1933-1962

W.C. (Bill) Dunn started an alternate and frequent bus service to compete with the Winnipeg Electric Company and Canadian National Railway services operating between the Cities of Winnipeg and Transcona.

Photograph courtesy of William A. Luke

WECo "Selkirk Streamliner" 1939-1948

The inter-urban streetcar line between Winnipeg and Selkirk was converted to motor bus operation in 1939, with Winnipeg Electric Company operating the route under the name "Selkirk Streamliner".

Photograph courtesy of Winnipeg Transit Photo Archive

Beaver Bus Lines Limited 1932-Present

The Winnipeg Electric Company sold the Winnipeg-Selkirk route to Beaver Bus Lines in 1948.

Photograph courtesy of William A. Luke

Beaver Bus Lines Limited 1932-Present

A Canadian Car-Brill model IC41 which was purchased from the Winnipeg Electric Company in 1948.

Photograph courtesy of Paul Leger

Red River Motor Coach Lines Limited 1924-1962

Peter Homenick of Gonor, Manitoba started operating bus services along Henderson Highway between Winnipeg and East Selkirk.

Photograph courtesy of William A. Luke

Moore's Trans-Canada Bus Lines Limited 1930-1958

George Moore established a taxicab, truck and rent-a-car business in Winnipeg soon after immigrating from Ireland. He also ran a bus service between Winnipeg and Kenora, Ontario.

Photograph courtesy of Paul Leger

Interlake Bus Lines Limited 1936-1951

Chris Holdorson provided bus service to many towns located between Lakes Winnipeg and Manitoba, commonly referred to as the Interlake Region.

Manitoba Motor Transit Limited 1933-1969

John Coval, President of Western Flyer Coach and on the left, shakes hands with Phil Geiler after delivering two new buses in 1948.

MacArthur's Transportation Limited 1931-1955

Jack MacArthur, Archibald MacArthur and John Rose started MacArthur and Sons, a local trucking company in Brandon. Their company also operated bus service between Brandon and Clear Lake, and operated the municipal transit service in Brandon replacing the streetcars between 1932 and 1955.

Photograph courtesy of Paul Leger

Eagle Bus Lines Limited 1931-1979

Mr. Manaigre pauses for a break while standing next to coach number 11 in Ste. Anne, Manitoba.

Photograph courtesy of Annette Duguay

Western Canadian Greyhound Lines Limited 1940-1957

A Motor Coach Industries model Courier 200 seen leaving the old Hargrave and Graham Bus Depot destined for Virden, Manitoba.

Photograph courtesy of William A. Luke

Grey Goose Bus Lines Limited 1924-1961

Another Motor Coach Industries model Courier 200 deaprting from the old Hargrave and Graham Bus Depot destined for Elgin, Manitoba.

Photograph courtesy of William A. Luke

Northern Bus Lines Limited 1952-Present

A Western Flyer model C-33 "transit style" bus built in 1947 for use in Flin Flon, Manitoba.

Photograph courtesy of Manitoba Transit Heritage Association Inc.

Eagle Bus Lines Limited 1931-1979

Western Flyer developed this deck-and-a-half model called the T-36 2L, however only four production units were constructed in 1955/56.

Photograph courtesy of Paul Leger

Red River Motor Coach Lines Limited 1924-1962

Newer coaches were required as Pete Homenick's company pushed service farther into northeastern Manitoba.

Photograph courtesy of Dennis Cavanagh

Sonnichsen Transportation Limited 1939-1986

Helmut S. Sonnichsen started the "Headingly Bus Service", a commuter run operating between Headingley-St. Charles-St. James-Winnipeg.

Photograph courtesy of William A. Luke

Thiessen Bus Lines Limited 1959-1961

John Coval, President of Western Flyer Coach, presents A. J. Thiessen with a new bus in 1959.

Photograph courtesy of Dennis Cavanagh

Moore's Trans-Canada Bus Line Limited 1930-1958

Western Flyer developed this deck-and-a-half model called the T-36 2L, however only four production units were constructed in 1955/56.

Photograph courtesy of Paul Leger

Webb Bus Lines Limited 1936-1988

Ralph Webb started by shuttling military personnel between Portage La Prairie and local air force bases at Southport and Macdonald.

Photograph courtesy of Peter Cox

Manitoba Motor Transit Limited 1933-1969

Manitoba Motor Transit and Greyhound shared a depot on Princess Avenue in Brandon.

Photograph courtesy of William A. Luke

Western Canadian Greyhound Lines Limited 1940-1957

An eastbound Greyhound coach paused at a rest stop in Roblin, Manitoba in 1952.

Photograph courtesy of William A. Luke

Grey Goose Bus Lines Limited 1924-1961

A Western Fyler Coach model P-41 "Canuck" leaves the Burnell Street garage signed on the Winnipeg-Vita run.

Photograph courtesy of William A. Luke

Eagle Bus Lines Limited 1931-1979

A Western Fyler Coach model P-41 "Canuck" awaits departure from the Archibald Street garage destined for West Hawk Lake.

Photograph courtesy of Paul Leger

Melnick Bus Lines Limited 1963-1996

Tommy Melnick operated a contract service between Town of Pinawa and the nearby Atomic Energy of Canada (AECL) Whiteshell Research Laboratory.

Photograph courtesy of Paul Leger

Thiessen Bus Lines Limited 1959-1961

A new Prevost Car model "Panoramique" pictured at the the Winnipeg Football Stadium in 1961.

White Ribbon Bus Lines Limited 1933-1962

A. J. Thiessen purchased White Ribbon Bus Lines in 1959 operating it as "Transcona Bus Lines". He later sold the entire operation to Winnipeg's "Metro Transit Department".

Webb Bus Lines Limited 1936-1988

The Brandon-Souris-Deloraine-Melita "taxi" shuttle awaits departure at the Brandon Greyhound depot.

Photograph courtesy of William A. Luke

Southern Bus Lines Limited 1963-1978

Robert O'Neil assumed operation of the Winnipeg-Ste. Dolphe route from Beaver Bus Lines.

Photograph courtesy of William A. Luke

Greyhound Lines of Canada Limited 1957-1995

With the completion of the Trans-Canada highway in 1962, Greyhound was able to link Vancouver with Toronto in a continuous route running through Winnipeg.

Manitoba Motor Transit Limited 1933-1969

A Motor Coach Industries model MC-5A rests at the old Greyhound garage located at Broadway and Fort Street.

Photograph courtesy of Peter Cox

Melnick Bus LInes Limited 1963-1996

A Motor Coach Industries model MC-5A on a charter trip to St. Malo, Manitoba.

Photograph courtesy of Dennis Cavanagh

Eagle Bus Lines Limited 1931-1979

Emil Pitura stands next to an MC-5 at the Archibald Street garage before leaving on a charter trip.

Photograph courtesy of Emil Pitura

Thompson Bus Lines Limited 1963-1995

A Western Flyer Coach model Canuck 500 in the company garage at Thompson, Manitoba.

Photograph courtesy of Paul Leger

Grey Goose Bus Lines (Manitoba) Limited 1961-Present

A Western Flyer Coach model Canuck 500 parked after completing a trip to Koostatak, Manitoba.

Photograph courtesy of Dennis Cavanagh

Grey Goose Bus Lines (Manitoba) Limited 1961-Present

A Western Flyer Coach model Canuck 600A departing from the Winnipeg Bus Depot destined for Pine Falls, Manitoba.

Photograph courtesy of Paul Leger

Kelsey Bus LInes Limited 1963-Present

James McAdam purchased Ford's Bus Line of The Pas, Manitoba in 1958. In 1963 he changed the company name to Kelsey Bus Lines.

Photograph courtesy of Dennis Cavanagh

Sonnichsen Transportation Limited 1939-1986

A Western Flyer Coach model T-28 departs from the Winnipeg Bus depot destined to Headingley in October 1967.

Photograph courtesy of Peter Cox

Beaver Bus Lines Limited 1932-Present

A General Motors model SDM-4501 travels southbound on Main Street at Inkster Boulevard in June 1966.

Photograph courtesy of Peter Cox

Beaver Bus Lines Limited 1932-Present

A sparking clean General Motors model T6H-5306 awaits departure from the Archibald Street garage in July 1976.

Photograph courtesy of Dennis Cavanagh

Beaver Bus Lines Limited 1932-Present

This Motor Coach Industries model MC-3 was purchased used from Greyhound. A tough little tank-like unit, this bus was affectionately known to drivers as "Sherman".

Photograph courtesy of Peter Cox

Central Bus Lines Limited 1968-1984

Primarily a charter operator based out of Dauphin, Manitoba, Central Bus Lines purchased this MC-5B used from Eagle Bus Lines.

Photograph courtesy of Paul Leger

Kelsey Bus Lines Limted 1963-Present

This MC-5B was purchased new from Motor Coach Industries in the mid-1970s.

Photograph courtesy of Dennis Cavanagh

Greyhound Lines of Canada Limited 1957-1995

A MC-5A works it way south on Osborne Street destined eastbound and down to Toronto in 1981.

Photograph courtesy of Peter Cox

The Motor Coach Industries model MC-6 had advanced engineering and challenged accepted design standards for its time. The vehicle was 42-feet long, almost 12-feet high, and 102 inches wide. Only 100 production models were constructed, with 15 allocated exclusively to Greyhound Lines in Canada.

Greyhound Lines of Canada Limited 1957-1995

The Motor Coach Industries model MC-7 was a 40-foot three-axle vehicle with the same body styling as the shorter model MC-5.

Traveltime Postcard

Greyhound Lines of Canada Limited 1957-1995

Motor Coach Industries model MC-8 was a 40-foot three-axle vehicle similar to the model MC-7, but featured a square, smooth and sleek body styling.

Photograph courtesy of Dennis Cavanagh

Southern Bus Lines Limited 1963-1978

Contract service was provided throughout the 1970s for the Canadian Forces, moving military personnel between bases in Manitoba and Alberta.

Photograph courtesy of Paul Leger

Southern Bus Lines Limited 1963-1978

Southern number 37 was an early model MC-8 that had a window pillar just above the word "bus" which obstructed passengers' view to the outside.

Photograph courtesy of Mel Levandoski

Eagle Bus Lines Limited 1931-1979

Coach number 27 was the first three-axle vehicle purchased by Eagle Bus Lines in 1968.

Photograph courtesy of Paul Leger

Eagle Bus Lines Limited 1931-1979

This was reportly the first model MC-8 to roll of the Motor Coach Industries production line in late 1973.

Photograph courtesy of Peter Cox

Thompson Bus Lines Limited 1963-1995

A model MC-7 purchased used from Beaver Bus Lines in the mid-1980s.

Photograph courtesy of Paul Leger

Melnick Bus Lines Limited 1963-1996

This model MC-8 was purchased used from Greyhound in the late-1980s.

Photograph courtesy of Paul Leger

Webb Bus Lines Limited 1936-1988

The Webb Bus Lines fleet included two new model MC-8 coaches which were used in scheduled service or on charter trips. Number 44 is seen leaving the old Greyhound garage on Broadway at Fort Street.

Photograph courtesy of Paul Leger

Grey Goose Bus Lines (Manitoba) Limited 1961-Present

A 1975 Motor Coach Industries model MC-8 largely used on the Winnipeg-Fort Francis-Atikokan-Thunder Bay route.

Photograph courtesy of Mel Levandoski

Grey Goose Bus Lines (Manitoba) Limited 1961-Present

A 1976 General Motors model P8M-4108 which featured step-up front seating providing passengers with an improved view through the front window.

Photograph courtesy of Dennis Cavanagh

Webb Bus Lines Limited 1936-1988

This General Motors model PD-4905 was a second hand coach. It was used in scheduled service out of Winnipeg on the Alonsa, Russell and Reston routes.

Photograph courtesy of Paul Leger

Webb Bus Lines Limited 1936-1988

A second General Motors model PD-4905 was purchased used and also ran in scheduled service out of Winnipeg on the Alonsa, Russell and Reston routes.

Photograph courtesy of Brian Loat

Eagle Bus Lines Limited 1931-1979

Two new Motor Coach Industries model MC-5Bs were purchased by Eagle Bus Lines in the mid-1970s.

Photograph courtesy of Paul Leger

Beaver Bus Lines Limited 1932-Present

Orion Bus Industries supplied six model "Citycruiser 40" buses to Beaver Bus Lines in the mid-1980s.

Photograph courtesy of Alex Regiec

Beaver Bus Lines Limited 1932-Present

By the late 1980s home town manufacturer New Flyer Industries built three model D40 suburban buses for use on the Winnipeg-Selkirk run.

Photograph courtesy of Alex Regiec

Beaver Bus Lines Limited 1932-Present

This Motor Coach Industries model MC-9 was one of seven purchased new between 1979 and 1985. This modern cruiser allowed the company to effectively expand into the escorted touring market.

Photograph courtesy of Emil Pitura

Beaver Bus Lines Limited 1932-Present

Some of the model MC-9s were assigned to the Fairway Coach Lines subsidiary.

Photograph courtesy of Dennis Cavanagh

Kelsey Bus Lines Limited 1963-Present

This Motor Coach Industries model MC-9 was purchased in 1985 for charter and escorted tour service originating in northern Manitoba.

Photograph courtesy of Paul Leger

Greyhound Lines of Canada Limited 1957-1995

After 1986, Motor Coach Industries modified the successful MC-9 model and continued to produce it as the "MC-9 Special".

Photograph courtesy of Alex Regiec

Greyhound Lines of Canada Limited 1957-1995

A redesigned and wider coach was introduced in 1985 by Motor Coach Industries called the model 102-A3.

Photograph courtesy of Alex Regiec

Grey Goose Bus Lines (Manitoba) Limited 1961-Present

Motor Coach Industries model MC-9 Specials were used by Grey Goose on the busy northern Winnipeg-Thompson route.

Photograph courtesy of Alex Regiec

Grey Goose Bus Lines (Manitoba) Limited 1961-Present

Begining in the late 1980s and into the early 1990s eight new coaches were purchased from Prevost Car of Montreal. Initially for use on charter trips, these coaches were later re-assigned to scheduled service.

Photograph courtesy of Alex Regiec

Whiteshell Line Inc. 1996-2005

John MacPherson purchased Melnick Bus Lines in 1996 changing the company name to Whiteshell Line. This company is now defunct.

Photograph courtesy of Alex Regiec

Lakefront Charter 1989-Present

Based out of Gimli, Manitoba, Lakefront Enterprises operates a charter service.

Photograph courtesy of Alex Regiec

Freedom Fantasy Coaches Inc. 1995-Present

Started in the mid-1990s by Bob and Helen Deeley, Freedom Fantasy Coaches provided both luxury executive and conventional vehicles to the Winnipeg charter market. This company is now defunct.

Photograph courtesy of Alex Regiec

Vital Transit Service Limited 1978-Present

After the sale of Southern Bus Lines in 1978, Gary and Stuart Paull purchased the transit and para-transit operations forming Vital Transit Services.

Photograph courtesy of Alex Regiec

Kelsey Bus Lines Limited 1963-Present

This 1996 Motor Coach Industries model 102-C3 was purchased new for charter and escorted tour service.

Photograph courtesy of Paul Leger

Grey Goose Bus Lines (Manitoba) Limited 1961-Present

This 1992 Motor Coach Industries model 102-A3 was purchased for the escorted touring services offered by Circle Tours, a subsidiary of Grey Goose.

Photograph courtesy of Mel Levandoski

Greyhound Canada Transportation Corp. 1995-Present

This 1995 Motor Coach Industries model 102-D3 was a standard 40-foot coach with seating for 47-passengers. It also featured a wheelchair lift allowing for the operation of accessible service between Kenora-Winnipeg-Portage La Prairie-Brandon.

Photograph courtesy of Dennis Cavanagh

Greyhound Canada Transportation Corp. 1995-Present

Greyhound purchased it first 45-foot coach from Motor Coach Industries in 1995. This 2001 model 102-DL3 offers seating for up to 55-passengers.

Photograph courtesy of Alex Regiec

Southwestern Bus Line 97 Limited 1997-Present

Seen in April 2005, the van and trailer of Southwestern Bus Lines arrived at the Brandon Bus Depot after completing the Boissevain-Deloraine-Melita-Reston-Souris-Brandon route. This service makes a timed-transfer connection to Greyhound's Trans-Canada Highway schedules.

Photograph courtesy of Alex Regiec

Beaver Bus Lines Limited 1932-Present

Throughout the 1990s new coaches were purchased from Prevost Car of Montreal for use in the Winnipeg charter market.

Photograph courtesy of John D. Fehr

Beaver Bus Lines Limited 1932-Present

Beaver Bus Lines purchased ten used MCI model "Classic" transit buses for use on the Winnipeg-Selkirk run.

Photograph courtesy of Alex Regiec

Rural Handi-Van Operations

Numerous rural-based Handi-vans operate non-scheduled medical and shopping trips into Winnipeg on a regular basis.

Photograph courtesy of Alex Regiec

21st Century Taxi and Shuttle Limited 2005-Present

In the fall of 2005 bus service on the Brandon-Winnipeg route (via Highway 2) was replaced by a van and trailer operation.

Photograph courtesy of Alex Regiec

Boutin Bus Lines Inc. 2005-Present

Also in the fall of 2005 bus service was replaced by a van and trailer operation on the Winnipeg-Beausejour-Lac du Bonnet-Pine Falls route.

Photograph courtesy of Alex Regiec

Boutin Bus Lines Inc. 2005-Present

Gerry Boutin, a ex-Greyhound driver, assumed the operation of the Winnipeg-Steinbach-Sprague, and the Winnipeg-Gimli-Riverton-Arborg-Koostatak-Teulon-Stonewall routes.

Photograph courtesy of Alex Regiec

Vital Transit Service Limited 1978-Present

This 1983 Motor Coach Industries model MC-9, ex-Greyhound number 753, is used to provide charter service in the Winnipeg area.

Photograph courtesy of Alex Regiec

Beaver Bus Lines Limited 1932-Present

This General Motors model TDH-4517 was delivered new to Beaver Bus Lines in 1960, and is perhaps now the oldest transit bus still in continuous active service in Canada.

Photograph courtesy of Alex Regiec

Beaver Bus Lines Limited 1932-Present

Part of a ten bus purchase, Beaver Bus Lines obtained this used MCI model "Classic" transit bus from Santa Monica, California. It was refurbished for use on the Winnipeg-Selkirk run and for local charter service.

Photograph courtesy of Alex Regiec

Beaver Bus Lines Limited 1932-Present

Beaver Bus Lines continues to upgrade its fleet of charter and touring coaches with the purchase of this Motor Coach Industries model J4500 in 2004.

Photograph courtesy of Lloyd Greenaway

Northern Bus Lines Limited 1952-Present

Based in Flin Flon, Manitoba this company continues to operate the local city transit service. school buses and modern highway coaches for charter.

Kelsey Bus Lines Limited 1963-Present

This picture was captured during sunset, shortly after a summer rain storm, at Steinbach, Manitoba in 2006.

Photograph courtesy of Dennis Cavanagh

Jefferson Lines Inc. 1919-Present

In 2001 Jefferson Lines of Minneapolis, Minnesota began operating daily bus service between Kansas City, Missouri and Winnipeg, Manitoba. This route connnects with other bus services at Fargo, North Dakota, including Greyhound Lines and Rimrock Stages Trailways. The service has recently been reduced to four trips per week.

Photograph courtesy of Alex Regiec

Grey Goose Bus Lines (Manitoba) Limited 1961-Present

Freshly repainted in the new corporate livery and parked at the Burnell Street garage.

Photograph courtesy of Dennis Cavanagh

Greyhound Canada Transportation Corp. 1995-Present

Greyhound number 1212, a Motor Coach Industries model G4500, arrives in Winnipeg from the west at 5:45 p.m. on a hot summer day in 2004.

Photograph courtesy of Alex Regiec

Greyhound Canada Transportation Corp. 1995-Present

The newest member of the Greyhound family, a Motor Coach Industries model D4505, recently spotted operating the Toronto-Winnipeg route.

Photograph courtesy of Alex Regiec